Foundry Mold & Coremakers
Core Machine Operator, Core Maker, Mold Maker, Molder
What they do:
Make or form wax or sand cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
On the job, you would:
- Clean and smooth molds, cores, and core boxes, and repair surface imperfections.
- Move and position workpieces such as mold sections, patterns, and bottom boards, using cranes, or signal others to move workpieces.
- Sprinkle or spray parting agents onto patterns and mold sections to facilitate removal of patterns from molds.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD software
- Dassault Systemes SolidWorks software
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- CNC Software Mastercam software
- Computer aid manufacturing CAM software
Data base user interface and query software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Molding, Coremaking, & Casting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Print Binding & Finishing Workers
You might like a career in one of these industries: