Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
Grinder, Tool Grinder, Finisher, Saw Filer
What they do:
Perform precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
On the job, you would:
- Dress grinding wheels, according to specifications.
- Monitor machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Inspect, feel, and measure workpieces to ensure that surfaces and dimensions meet specifications.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
Examples of the technology used in this career will be available soon.
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal & Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, & Wall
- Milling & Planing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries: