County Surveyor, Surveyor, Land Surveyor, Survey Party Chief
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Cannon Fire Direction Specialist; Fire Support Specialist; PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer; Special Forces Engineer Sergeant
Geographic Intelligence Specialist
Engineering Aid; Engineering Aid Basic
What they do:
Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
On the job, you would:
- Verify the accuracy of survey data including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Search legal records, survey records, and land titles to obtain information about property boundaries in areas to be surveyed.
- Calculate heights, depths, relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- public safety and security
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- reading work related information
- using math to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- order or arrange things
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Geocomp Systems GeoNav
- HYPACK HYSWEEP
Computer aided design CAD software
- CMT Incorporated CogoCAD
- Trimble Terramodel
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcView
- Geomechanical design analysis GDA software