Geodetic Advisor, Professor, Survey Director
see titles from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent
Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent; Geographic Intelligence Specialist; Technical Engineer
What they do:
Measure large areas of the Earth's surface using satellite observations, global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), light detection and ranging (LIDAR), or related sources.
On the job, you would:
- Analyze control or survey data to ensure adherence to project specifications or land survey standards.
- Calculate the exact horizontal and vertical position of points on the earth's surface.
- Verify the mathematical correctness of newly collected survey data.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- using math to solve problems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- ESRI ArcView
Analytical or scientific software
- Carlson Simplicity "Sight" Survey
- National Geodetic Survey NGS VERTCON
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD software
- Bentley Microstation