Geologist, Geophysicist, Mine Geologist, Project Geologist
see titles from the Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy.
RL - Special Duty Officer (Oceanography)
Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) Analyst Forecaster
Geospatial Information and Services (GIandS) Officer; Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) Services Officer; Meteorology and Oceanography Watch Officer; RL - Special Duty Officer (Oceanography); Staff Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) Officer
What they do:
Study the composition, structure, and other physical aspects of the Earth. May use geological, physics, and mathematics knowledge in exploration for oil, gas, minerals, or underground water; or in waste disposal, land reclamation, or other environmental problems. May study the Earth's internal composition, atmospheres, oceans, and its magnetic, electrical, and gravitational forces. Includes mineralogists, crystallographers, paleontologists, stratigraphers, geodesists, and seismologists.
On the job, you would:
- Analyze and interpret geological, geochemical, or geophysical information from sources such as survey data, well logs, bore holes, or aerial photos.
- Plan or conduct geological, geochemical, or geophysical field studies or surveys, sample collection, or drilling and testing programs used to collect data for research or application.
- Prepare geological maps, cross-sectional diagrams, charts, or reports concerning mineral extraction, land use, or resource management, using results of fieldwork or laboratory research.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- group things in different ways
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- EarthWorks Downhole Explorer
- RockWare Geochemist's Workbench GWB
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcView
- Geosoft Oasis montaj
Computer aided design CAD software
- Atoll GeoCAD
- Trimble Terramodel