Community Health Workers
Community Health Outreach Worker, Community Health Program Coordinator, Community Health Promoter, Community Nutrition Educator
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps.
Diet Therapy; Diet Therapy Apprentice; Diet Therapy Craftsman; Diet Therapy Helper; Diet Therapy Journeyman; Diet Therapy Superintendent
Diet Therapy Apprentice; Diet Therapy Craftsman; Diet Therapy Helper; Diet Therapy Journeyman; Diet Therapy Superintendent
What they do:
Assist individuals and communities to adopt healthy behaviors. Conduct outreach for medical personnel or health organizations to implement programs in the community that promote, maintain, and improve individual and community health. May provide information on available resources, provide social support and informal counseling, advocate for individuals and community health needs, and provide services such as first aid and blood pressure screening. May collect data to help identify community health needs.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain updated client records with plans, notes, appropriate forms, or related information.
- Advise clients or community groups on issues related to improving general health, such as diet or exercise.
- Identify or contact members of high-risk or otherwise targeted groups, such as members of minority populations, low-income populations, or pregnant women.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Client databases
- Microsoft Access
Desktop publishing software
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
per year, on average
You might like a career in one of these industries: