Ophthalmic Medical Technologists
Certified Ophthalmic Assistant, Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist (COMT), Ophthalmic Medical Technologist, Ophthalmic Technologist (Ophthalmic Tech)
see titles from the Army or Marine Corps.
What they do:
Assist ophthalmologists by performing ophthalmic clinical functions and ophthalmic photography. Provide instruction and supervision to other ophthalmic personnel. Assist with minor surgical procedures, applying aseptic techniques and preparing instruments. May perform eye exams, administer eye medications, and instruct patients in care and use of corrective lenses.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct tonometry or tonography tests to measure intraocular pressure.
- Measure visual acuity, including near, distance, pinhole, or dynamic visual acuity, using appropriate tests.
- Collect ophthalmic measurements or other diagnostic information, using ultrasound equipment, such as A-scan ultrasound biometry or B-scan ultrasonography equipment.
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- AcuityPro VisionScience Software
- EyeMD EMR
Electronic mail software
Internet browser software
certificate after high school or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
per year, on average
You might like a career in one of these industries: