Drywall & Ceiling Tile Installers
Drywall Finisher, Drywall Hanger, Drywall Mechanic, Ceiling Installer
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Carpentry and Masonry Specialist
Builder; Carpentry and Masonry Specialist
What they do:
Apply plasterboard or other wallboard to ceilings or interior walls of buildings. Apply or mount acoustical tiles or blocks, strips, or sheets of shock-absorbing materials to ceilings and walls of buildings to reduce or reflect sound. Materials may be of decorative quality. Includes lathers who fasten wooden, metal, or rockboard lath to walls, ceilings or partitions of buildings to provide support base for plaster, fire-proofing, or acoustical material.
On the job, you would:
- Measure and mark surfaces to lay out work, according to blueprints or drawings, using tape measures, straightedges or squares, and marking devices.
- Read blueprints or other specifications to determine methods of installation, work procedures, or material or tool requirements.
- Fit and fasten wallboard or drywall into position on wood or metal frameworks, using glue, nails, or screws.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
- Construction Software Center EasyEst
- DevWave Estimate Works
Word processing software
- Microsoft Word
- Wilhelm Publishing Threshold