Sheet Metal Workers
HVAC Sheet Metal Installer (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Sheet Metal Installer); Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker; Sheet Metal Mechanic; Sheet Metal Worker
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Allied Trades Specialist
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Allied Trades Specialist; Hull Maintenance Technician; Steelworker
Aviation Structural Mechanic; Hull Maintenance Technician; Steelworker
What they do:
Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal products and equipment, such as ducts, control boxes, drainpipes, and furnace casings. Work may involve any of the following: setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer; operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts; or inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces. Includes sheet metal duct installers who install prefabricated sheet metal ducts used for heating, air conditioning, or other purposes.
On the job, you would:
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the construction or assembly of sheet metal products.
- Determine project requirements, such as scope, assembly sequences, or required methods or materials, using blueprints, drawings, or written or verbal instructions.
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material such as roofing panels, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, or rulers.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD software
- Parametric Technology Pro/ENGINEER software
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Applied Production ProFab
- JETCAM Expert