Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal & Plastic
Computer Numerical Control Machine Operator (CNC Machine Operator), Computer Numerical Control Machinist (CNC Machinist), Computer Numerical Control Operator (CNC Operator), Machinist
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Allied Trades Specialist
Allied Trades Specialist; Machinery Repairman
What they do:
Operate computer-controlled machines or robots to perform one or more machine functions on metal or plastic work pieces.
On the job, you would:
- Measure dimensions of finished workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments, templates, and fixtures.
- Mount, install, align, and secure tools, attachments, fixtures, and workpieces on machines, using hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
- Stop machines to remove finished workpieces or to change tooling, setup, or workpiece placement, according to required machining sequences.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- watching gauges, dials, or display screens to make sure a machine is working
- testing how well a product or service works
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
Hearing and Speech
- tell the difference between sounds
- pay attention to one sound while there are other distracting sounds
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- 1CadCam Unigraphics
- CNC Mastercam
Computer aided design CAD software
- SolidWorks CAD software
- UGS Solid Edge
Analytical or scientific software
- CNC Consulting Machinists' Calculator
- EditCNC software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
You might like a career in one of these industries: