Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Die Setter, Machine Operator, Machine Technician, Machinist
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Allied Trades Specialist
Allied Trades Specialist; Machinery Repairman
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool or robot.
On the job, you would:
- Observe machine operation to detect workpiece defects or machine malfunctions, adjusting machines as necessary.
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, cutters, shears, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, and auxiliary machines, to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
- Inspect workpieces for defects, and measure workpieces to determine accuracy of machine operation, using rules, templates, or other measuring instruments.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Word processing software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
You might like a career in one of these industries: