Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Fabricator, Mig Welder, Robot Operator, Spot Welder
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Allied Trades Specialist
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Enlisted Aircrew/Aerial Observer/Gunner; Helicopter Airframe Mechanic, UH/AH-1; Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-53; Helicopter Mechanic, CH-53; Helicopter Power Plants Mechanic, T-58; Helicopter/Tiltrotor Dynamic Components Mechanic; Metal Worker; Tiltrotor Airframe Mechanic, MV-22; VH-60N Presidential Helicopter Crew Chief
Hull Maintenance Technician; Steelworker
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect, measure, or test completed metal workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using measuring and testing devices.
- Read blueprints, work orders, or production schedules to determine product or job instructions or specifications.
- Assemble, align, and clamp workpieces into holding fixtures to bond, heat-treat, or solder fabricated metal components.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
- Plating & Coating Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Welders, Cutters, & Welder Fitters
You might like a career in one of these industries: