Cabinetmakers & Bench Carpenters
Cabinet Maker, Cabinet Assembler, Frame Builder, Machine Operator
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Carpentry and Masonry Specialist
Builder; Carpentry and Masonry Specialist
What they do:
Cut, shape, and assemble wooden articles or set up and operate a variety of woodworking machines, such as power saws, jointers, and mortisers to surface, cut, or shape lumber or to fabricate parts for wood products.
On the job, you would:
- Produce or assemble components of articles, such as store fixtures, office equipment, cabinets, or high-grade furniture.
- Verify dimensions or check the quality or fit of pieces to ensure adherence to specifications.
- Set up or operate machines, including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoners, molders, or shapers, to cut, mold, or shape woodstock or wood substitutes.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- watching gauges, dials, or display screens to make sure a machine is working
- testing how well a product or service works
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Reaction Time and Speed
- quickly move your hand, finger, or foot based on a sound, light, picture or other command
- quickly move your arms and legs
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Facilities management software
- Computerized maintenance management system CMMS software
Computer aided design CAD software
some college or
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
per year, on average
You might like a career in one of these industries: