Farm Labor Contractors
Also called: Farm Labor Contractor, Field Manager, Field Supervisor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Farm labor contractors do a lot of the leg work when it comes to making sure that a farm has all the hands it needs. They conduct the employment process on behalf of farm owners, to ensure it complies with immigration and labor safety laws. These contractors work for companies ranging from small, individually-owned farms to large-scale conglomerate operations. They hire agricultural workers for seasonal contracts, and make sure they are paid accurately for their time. Working in the fields can be hot, tiring, and dehydrating, so farm labor contractors must make sure food and water is available to workers when they need it. They may also coordinate seasonal housing and transportation to worksites. Some contractors retain long-term teams of workers experienced with specific crops, so the perfect crew can be ready to go when needed - a win-win factor for all. No formal training or degree is required to become a farm labor contractor, but they must pass a license test in their state before performing the work. Foreign language ability is helpful, in cases where workers speak little English. As farm labor management becomes more complicated, the work of farm labor contractors is more essential than ever.
What they do:Recruit and hire seasonal or temporary agricultural laborers. May transport, house, and provide meals for workers.
On the job, you would:
- Pay wages of contracted farm laborers.
- Provide food, drinking water, and field sanitation facilities to contracted workers.
- Recruit and hire agricultural workers.
Arts and Humanities
- foreign language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- human resources (HR)
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Bookkeeping software
- Financial accounting software