Also called: Manufacturing Engineer, Plant Engineer, Process Engineer, Process Improvement Engineer
What they do:Design, integrate, or improve manufacturing systems or related processes. May work with commercial or industrial designers to refine product designs to increase producibility and decrease costs.
On the job, you would:
- Troubleshoot new or existing product problems involving designs, materials, or processes.
- Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve manufacturing processes or products or to reduce costs, using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- using math to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
Ideas and Logic
- group things in different ways
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Desktop communications software
Electronic mail software
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Industrial Engineering Technologists & Technicians
- Mining & Geological Engineers, Including Mining Safety Engineers
- Robotics Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries: