Also called: Drilling Engineer, Petroleum Engineer, Petroleum Production Engineer, Reservoir Engineer
What they do:Devise methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determine the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversee drilling and offer technical advice.
On the job, you would:
- Assess costs and estimate the production capabilities and economic value of oil and gas wells, to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Develop plans for oil and gas field drilling, and for product recovery and treatment.
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- accounting and economics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- IHS PETRA
- Schlumberger Petrel
Financial analysis software
- DFA Capital Management GEMS
- GeoGraphix ARIES Portfolio
Graphics or photo imaging software