Cardiovascular Geneticist, Medical Geneticist, Research Scientist, Scientist
What they do:Research and study the inheritance of traits at the molecular, organism or population level. May evaluate or treat patients with genetic disorders.
On the job, you would:
- Supervise or direct the work of other geneticists, biologists, technicians, or biometricians working on genetics research projects.
- Plan or conduct basic genomic and biological research related to areas such as regulation of gene expression, protein interactions, metabolic networks, and nucleic acid or protein complexes.
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation at professional conferences or in scientific journals.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- using scientific rules and strategies to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- group things in different ways
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- SAS JMP
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Object or component oriented development software
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
post-doctoral training or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Biochemists & Biophysicists
- Bioinformatics Scientists
- Medical Scientists
- Molecular & Cellular Biologists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about geneticists.