Also called: Clinical Genetics Laboratory Chief, Laboratory Director, Medical Geneticist, Research Scientist
What they do:Research and study the inheritance of traits at the molecular, organism or population level. May evaluate or treat patients with genetic disorders.
On the job, you would:
- Review, approve, or interpret genetic laboratory results.
- Evaluate, diagnose, or treat genetic diseases.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks that record research methods, procedures, and results.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- medicine and dentistry
- reading work related information
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- RTI International SUDAAN
Object or component oriented development software
Data base user interface and query software