Also called: Ecologist, Research Environmental Engineer, Research Scientist, Researcher
What they do:Apply principles and processes of natural ecosystems to develop models for efficient industrial systems. Use knowledge from the physical and social sciences to maximize effective use of natural resources in the production and use of goods and services. Examine societal issues and their relationship with both technical systems and the environment.
On the job, you would:
- Identify environmental impacts caused by products, systems, or projects.
- Examine local, regional or global use and flow of materials or energy in industrial production processes.
- Identify or develop strategies or methods to minimize the environmental impact of industrial production processes.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by writing
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Production Flow Analysis and Simplification Toolkit PFAST
- Substance Flow Analysis STAN
Graphics or photo imaging software
Map creation software
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.