Also called: Planner, Planning Director, Transportation Analyst, Transportation Planner
What they do:Prepare studies for proposed transportation projects. Gather, compile, and analyze data. Study the use and operation of transportation systems. Develop transportation models or simulations.
On the job, you would:
- Recommend transportation system improvements or projects, based on economic, population, land-use, or traffic projections.
- Define regional or local transportation planning problems or priorities.
- Participate in public meetings or hearings to explain planning proposals, to gather feedback from those affected by projects, or to achieve consensus on project designs.
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- come up with lots of ideas
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
Data base user interface and query software
New job opportunities are likely in the future.