Also called: Clinical Laboratory Specialist in Cytogenetics (CLSp(CG)), Cytogenetic Technologist, Senior Cytogenetic Technologist, Senior Cytogenetics Laboratory Director
- Count numbers of chromosomes and identify the structural abnormalities by viewing culture slides through microscopes, light microscopes, or photomicroscopes.
- Arrange and attach chromosomes in numbered pairs on karyotype charts, using standard genetics laboratory practices and nomenclature, to identify normal or abnormal chromosomes.
- Analyze chromosomes found in biological specimens to aid diagnoses and treatments for genetic diseases such as congenital birth defects, fertility problems, and hematological disorders.
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
- put together small parts with your fingers
- keep your arm or hand steady
- see hidden patterns
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Cell Bioscience Automated Image Capture
- Geniel Genetics iGene
- Genial Genetics iPassport QMS
- Genial Genetics Shire