Municipal Fire Fighting & Prevention Supervisors
Also called: Fire Battalion Chief, Fire Captain, Fire Chief, Fire Lieutenant
What they do:Supervise fire fighters who control and extinguish municipal fires, protect life and property, and conduct rescue efforts.
On the job, you would:
- Assign firefighters to jobs at strategic locations to facilitate rescue of persons and maximize application of extinguishing agents.
- Provide emergency medical services as required, and perform light to heavy rescue functions at emergencies.
- Assess nature and extent of fire, condition of building, danger to adjacent buildings, and water supply status to determine crew or company requirements.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Affiliated Computer Services ACS FIREHOUSE
- Fire incident reporting systems
Helpdesk or call center software
- Computer aided dispatch software