Combined Food Preparation & Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
Also called: Deli Clerk (Delicatessen Clerk), Dietary Aide, Food Service Worker, Prep Cook (Preparation Cook)
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Food service workers perform customer service, food preparation, and cleaning duties… in food service establishments from fast food restaurants to hospitals and hotels. Counter attendants and baristas take orders, process payments, and serve food at fast food restaurants, snack bars, cafeterias, movie theaters, and coffee shops. They heat simple food items and assemble salads or sandwiches. Counter attendants also fill beverage orders and may prepare specialties, such as milkshakes and ice cream sundaes. Dining room and cafeteria attendants, also called bussers, clean and set tables, remove dirty dishes, and keep serving areas stocked with trays, dishes, and silverware. They may also fill water glasses and distribute dishes to diners. Bartender helpers clean bar equipment and glasses. These workers spend most of the time on their feet and often carry heavy trays. During busy dining periods, they are under pressure to serve customers quickly and efficiently. Minor injuries such as slips and burns are common. To reduce risks, workers often wear gloves, aprons, or nonslip shoes. Part-time work, seasonal work, and early morning or late evening hours are common… especially for fast food workers. Workers serving alcohol generally must be 18 years of age or older. Most food and beverage service workers receive short-term, on-the-job training. There are no formal educational requirements.
What they do:Perform duties which combine preparing and serving food and nonalcoholic beverages.
On the job, you would:
- Communicate with customers regarding orders, comments, and complaints.
- Accept payment from customers, and make change as necessary.
- Request and record customer orders, and compute bills using cash registers, multi counting machines, or pencil and paper.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
- manufacture and distribution of products
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- do two or more things at the same time
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Point of sale POS software
- Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale
- NCR Advanced Checkout Solution
Office suite software