Ushers, Lobby Attendants, & Ticket Takers
Also called: Lobby Attendant, Ticket Taker, Usher, Visitor Services Representative
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
At movie theaters, arenas, and concert halls, ushers, lobby attendants, and ticket takers process tickets and help patrons enjoy the entertainment. They collect admission tickets and passes from patrons, assist in finding seats, search for lost articles, and direct patrons to the rest room. When customers have seating arrangement disputes or other concerns, ushers try to resolve them. They help patrons with accessibility needs and provide guidance to patrons in an emergency. Lobby attendants and ticket takers also run refreshment counters during intermission and before shows begin, and may serve refreshments to press box patrons and VIPs. They may also schedule volunteers to help at events. Ushers, lobby attendants and ticket takers distribute programs, and keep a count of tickets collected and attendees. They sometimes lead tours of their facility, staff an on-site gift shop, and clean up after events. Ushers, lobby attendants, and ticket takers typically do not have formal education requirements. They undergo a short period of on-the-job training.
What they do:Assist patrons at entertainment events by performing duties, such as collecting admission tickets and passes from patrons, assisting in finding seats, searching for lost articles, and locating such facilities as rest rooms and telephones.
On the job, you would:
- Greet patrons attending entertainment events.
- Sell or collect admission tickets, passes, or facility memberships from patrons at entertainment events.
- Clean facilities.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Social Orientation
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Optical character reader OCR or scanning software
- Ticket Alternative Express Entry
- Ticket scanning software
Operating system software
- Microsoft Windows Mobile
- Combined Food Preparation & Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, & Coffee Shop
- Crossing Guards
- Waiters & Waitresses
You might like a career in one of these industries: