Also called: Barber, Barber Shop Operator, Barber Stylist, Stylist
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
The people who cut, style, and color hair, and sell specialty beauty products are barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists. They creatively enhance each client’s appearance, and keep up with hairstyle trends. Hairstylists and barbers listen carefully to clients’ preferences, and make sure they are satisfied with their results, while finishing in time for their next appointment. Barbers usually serve male clients for shampoos, haircuts, and shaves. Some fit hairpieces and perform facials. Hairdressers, or hairstylists, provide coloring, chemical hair treatments, and styling in addition to shampoos and cuts, and serve both female and male clients. Cosmetologists perform scalp and facial treatments and conduct make-up analysis. While some barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists work in spas or hotels, most work in barbershops and salons. Some lease chair space from a salon owner, others open their own shops after gaining experience. These workers are on their feet for most of their shift, and often wear gloves or aprons when giving chemical hair treatments. Many work full time, including nights and weekends, however part-time positions are also common. Salon owners work long hours and manage employees… inventory… ordering and bookkeeping. Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must complete a program in a state-licensed barber or cosmetology school and obtain licensure. Full-time programs in barbering and cosmetology usually last at least 9 months.
What they do:Provide barbering services, such as cutting, trimming, shampooing, and styling hair, trimming beards, or giving shaves.
On the job, you would:
- Clean and sterilize scissors, combs, clippers, and other instruments.
- Drape and pin protective cloths around customers' shoulders.
- Cut and trim hair according to clients' instructions or current hairstyles, using clippers, combs, hand-held blow driers, and scissors.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Social Orientation
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
Calendar and scheduling software
- Appointment scheduling software
Point of sale POS software
- Point of sale POS payment software