Switchboard Operators, Including Answering Service
Also called: Operator, PBX Operator (Private Branch Exchange Operator), Switchboard Operator, Telephone Operator
What they do:Operate telephone business systems equipment or switchboards to relay incoming, outgoing, and interoffice calls. May supply information to callers and record messages.
On the job, you would:
- Answer incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.
- Operate communication systems, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.
- Page individuals to inform them of telephone calls, using paging or interoffice communication equipment.
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Hearing and Speech
- recognize spoken words
- speak clearly
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software