Solar Energy Installation Managers
Also called: Installation Manager, Solar Energy Installation Manager, Solar Installation Manager, Solar Installation Supervisor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
We all know that it’s important to take care of the environment around us. Solar photovoltaic installers—or PV installers, as they’re otherwise known—do just that. PV installers are at the forefront of renewable energy solutions as businesses and homeowners strive to consume responsibly. PV installers set up and maintain solar panels. They do specialized work connecting PV, or solar panels, to the power grid, in addition to activating and testing solar-powered systems for quality performance. If you are interested in a career that is technical and labor-intensive, and that also makes a positive impact on the environment, this may be the career for you. Through their work, PV installers provide environmentally-conscious energy that will last for years to come. PV installers need to be very skilled with their hands, have good balance, and pay close attention to detail. They must be able to lift heavy equipment, parts, and tools. PV installers do most of their work outdoors, often on rooftops. This means that PV installers do face the risk of falling from ladders and roofs, and need to take care to avoid electrical shocks and burns from hot equipment. Training to enter the field lasts from a few days to a few months, and is available at community colleges and trade schools. Candidates with electrician or construction experience are often considered qualified to enter this career with only on-the-job training.
What they do:Direct work crews installing residential or commercial solar photovoltaic or thermal systems.
On the job, you would:
- Supervise solar installers, technicians, and subcontractors for solar installation projects to ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Estimate materials, equipment, and personnel needed for residential or commercial solar installation projects.
- Prepare solar installation project proposals, quotes, budgets, or schedules.
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- teaching people how to do something
- managing your time and the time of other people
- selecting and managing the best workers for a job
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software