Also called: Drywall Finisher, Drywall Taper, Finisher, Taper
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Beneath the surface of the rooms we inhabit are the materials that make up walls and ceilings. The exacting workers who construct these interior surfaces are drywall and ceiling tile installers, and tapers. Drywall installers attach wallboard to create walls in new construction, or to remodel existing spaces. They measure and cut wallboard with exacting precision, and hang the panels on wooden or metal framing. Tapers cover drywall seams with paper or fiberglass mesh tape so walls are ready for the final coating of plaster, paint, or wallpaper. They sand joints and holes as needed to create a seamless finish. Ceiling tile installers create the framework for suspended ceilings, cut ceiling tiles to size, and insert them in the frames. These workers spend hours each day standing, bending, climbing up and down ladders, and lifting materials. Skilled with both manual and power tools, they may use mechanical lifts for ceiling work, or stand on stilts or scaffolds to reach the work surface. They wear protective masks, goggles, and gloves as needed. Most drywall and ceiling tile installers and tapers work for drywall contractors, and learn their trade on the job. Knowledge of basic math is helpful, but there are no formal education requirements. In this field, when your back is up against the wall… the job is done.
What they do:Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering.
On the job, you would:
- Spread sealing compound between boards or panels or over cracks, holes, nail heads, or screw heads, using trowels, broadknives, or spatulas.
- Press paper tape over joints to embed tape into sealing compound and to seal joints.
- Apply additional coats to fill in holes and make surfaces smooth.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- understanding people's reactions
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Project management software
- DevWave Estimate Works
- On Center Quick Bid
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Cleaning, Washing, & Metal Pickling Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Construction Laborers
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
You might like a career in one of these industries: