Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
Also called: Helper, Irrigation Installation Specialist, Plumber's Helper, Sprinkler Fitter
What they do:Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Measure, cut, thread and assemble new pipe, placing the assembled pipe in hangers or other supports.
- Cut or drill holes in walls or floors to accommodate the passage of pipes.
- Perform rough-ins, repair and replace fixtures and water heaters, and locate, repair, or remove leaking or broken pipes.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
Examples of the technology used in this career will be available soon.
- Construction Laborers
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Refuse & Recyclable Material Collectors
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: