Also called: Roofer Helper
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Roofers are the people who literally keep a roof over our heads. These workers install and repair the roofs of buildings to keep interiors dry and safe. Roofers take detailed measurements to calculate materials needed. They lay down layers of materials to create a lasting roof cover– starting with a vapor barrier, and the roofing material a client chooses, such as asphalt, traditional— or newer solar shingles, or long-lasting metal. Weatherproofing the seals around chimneys, vents, or other rooftop elements requires precision and spatial perception. Roofer helpers set ladders and scaffolds in place, and hoist or carry materials to roofs. They remove old roofing material, and assist roofers with roof installation and repairs. They also clean the work area and equipment. Roofing work is physically demanding. It involves heavy lifting, as well as climbing, bending, and kneeling, often in very hot weather. Roofers work outdoors in all types of weather, and need to be comfortable working high above the ground. Most roofers work full time— although only seasonally in colder climates— and may work overtime to complete jobs quickly, especially when rain is expected. Most roofers and helpers work in crews for roofing contractors. Roofers and helpers usually learn on the job, though some roofers learn their trade through an apprenticeship— typically a 3-year program of technical training and paid on the job training.
What they do:Help roofers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying, or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Check to ensure that completed roofs are watertight.
- Sweep and clean roofs to prepare them for the application of new roofing materials.
- Locate worn or torn areas in roofs.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- AppliCad Roof Wizard
- Ziatek RoofDraw
Analytical or scientific software
- Energy cost evaluation software
- Roofing Calculator
Data base user interface and query software
- Insight Direct ServiceCEO
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, & Tile & Marble Setters
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, & Stucco Masons
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
You might like a career in one of these industries: