Also called: Blast Hole Driller, Drill Operator, Driller, Well Driller
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Ore and minerals mined from deep within the Earth’s crust are used every day to manufacture steel, cement, glass, and more. Mining operations workers use machines and equipment to extract these materials in often challenging and potentially risky conditions. Continuous mining machines are self-propelled behemoths that rip coal, ores, rock, or sand from the mine face and load it onto conveyors or into shuttle cars. Mine cutting and channeling machines cut or channel along the face or seams of coal mines and stone quarries to enable materials to be removed from the Earth's surface. Operators ensure these machines run smoothly, stay within safe operating guidelines, and that mining areas are stable and ventilated. They make adjustments to optimize machine operations, and repair equipment as needed. Earth drillers operate a variety of drills to tap water and salt deposits under the Earth’s surface, to remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing, and to facilitate the use of explosives in mining or construction. Earth drillers and mine cutting machine operators usually need a high school diploma, while continuous mining machine operator positions typically have no specific education requirements.
What they do:Operate a variety of drills such as rotary, churn, and pneumatic to tap subsurface water and salt deposits, to remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing, and to facilitate the use of explosives in mining or construction. Includes horizontal and earth boring machine operators.
On the job, you would:
- Operate controls to stabilize machines and to position and align drills.
- Start, stop, and control drilling speed of machines and insertion of casings into holes.
- Regulate air pressure, rotary speed, and downward pressure, according to the type of rock or concrete being drilled.
Engineering and Technology
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Mobile location based services software
- Global positioning system GPS software
Office suite software