Helpers--Installation, Maintenance, & Repair Workers
Also called: Maintenance Aide, Maintenance Helper, Mechanic Helper, Technician's Helper
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
It takes a broad set of skills and knowledge to maintain buildings, including the ability to troubleshoot mechanical problems when they come up. General maintenance and repair workers employ those skills to fix and maintain machines, mechanical equipment, and buildings. They may repair roofs and floors, paint woodwork and walls, and fix other parts of buildings. When a more complicated problem arises, these workers also determine when it’s time to call in an electrician or plumber. General maintenance and repair workers may have to stand for long periods or lift heavy objects, work in very hot or cold environments, in cramped positions, or on ladders. They are employed in many locations, including office buildings, hospitals, stores, and factories. Most general maintenance workers work full time, including evenings or weekends, and may be on call for emergency repairs. They have a high risk of electrical shocks, falls, and cuts. Many in this field start out with simple tasks, observing and learning from skilled maintenance workers… then move on to more difficult tasks, such as overhauling machinery or constructing walls. High school shop classes and technical education are helpful.
What they do:Help installation, maintenance, and repair workers in maintenance, parts replacement, and repair of vehicles, industrial machinery, and electrical and electronic equipment. Perform duties such as furnishing tools, materials, and supplies to other workers; cleaning work area, machines, and tools; and holding materials or tools for other workers.
On the job, you would:
- Install or replace machinery, equipment, and new or replacement parts and instruments, using hand or power tools.
- Examine and test machinery, equipment, components, and parts for defects to ensure proper functioning.
- Tend and observe equipment and machinery to verify efficient and safe operation.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
Computer aided design CAD software
- HVAC tools software
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Fiberglass Laminators & Fabricators
- Industrial Truck & Tractor Operators
- Laborers & Freight, Stock, & Material Movers, Hand
- Roustabouts, Oil & Gas
You might like a career in one of these industries: