First-Line Supervisors of Production & Operating Workers
Also called: Assembly Supervisor, Manufacturing Supervisor, Production Manager, Production Supervisor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
It takes many workers to produce goods in factories, and to keep manufacturing facilities running. All the workers, from those on the assembly line, to inspectors performing quality tests, to plant operators, report to a supervisor of production or operating workers. These supervisors assign workers and plan schedules to reach production goals. They ensure products meet standards, and keep records on efficiency and accuracy. When problems arise, production supervisors implement strategies to improve motivation, methods, or efficiency. Production and operating worker supervisors also conduct employee training and communicate with management to resolve any problems with workers or production processes. They make recommendations on hiring and promotions, and keep an eye on employee effectiveness. Production and operating worker supervisors make sure that safety and sanitation regulations are maintained. They know the equipment in detail, so that they can identify any problems, and may even make minor repairs to stay on schedule. These supervisors work in a variety of manufacturing facilities, automobile, chemical and food production, machine shops, and more. Most positions require a high school diploma and work experience.
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operating workers, such as inspectors, precision workers, machine setters and operators, assemblers, fabricators, and plant and system operators. Excludes team or work leaders.
On the job, you would:
- Enforce safety and sanitation regulations.
- Keep records of employees' attendance and hours worked.
- Inspect materials, products, or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- human resources (HR)
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Farming, Fishing, & Forestry Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, & Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, & Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Material-Moving Machine & Vehicle Operators
You might like a career in one of these industries: