Food Cooking Machine Operators & Tenders
Also called: Cook, Fryer Operator, Kettle Fry Cook Operator, Processor
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Food and tobacco processing workers understand what it takes to make the United States the largest food exporter in the world. They operate the equipment that manufactures food and tobacco products. These workers load equipment, and weigh and mix ingredients for recipes. They monitor production to ensure products meet quality standards. Food and tobacco processing workers specialize in different equipment and products: Roasting, baking, and drying machine operators and tenders use ovens, roasters and other appliances to prepare food or tobacco products. Some workers dehydrate fruits, while others roast tobacco or coffee beans. Food batchmakers typically work in facilities that produce baked goods, pasta, and tortillas. They load and unload ovens, and make cheese and candy. Food cooking machine operators and tenders can fruits and vegetables, fry chips, bake snack foods, and make chocolates and other sweets. Food and tobacco processing workers work in large manufacturing facilities with loud machinery. High temperature equipment and cold storage environments are both common. Most food and tobacco processing workers work full time. Some production facilities are open only a few months each year, and require workers around the clock during their season. While food and tobacco processing workers learn their skills on the job, food batchmakers and cooking machine operators typically need a high school education.
What they do:Operate or tend cooking equipment, such as steam cooking vats, deep fry cookers, pressure cookers, kettles, and boilers, to prepare food products.
On the job, you would:
- Tend or operate and control equipment, such as kettles, cookers, vats and tanks, and boilers, to cook ingredients or prepare products for further processing.
- Set temperature, pressure, and time controls, and start conveyers, machines, or pumps.
- Clean, wash, and sterilize equipment and cooking area, using water hoses, cleaning or sterilizing solutions, or rinses.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Database software
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Drilling & Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Food Batchmakers
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, & Kettle Operators & Tenders
- Highway Maintenance Workers
You might like a career in one of these industries: