Drilling & Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Also called: Drill Operator, Drill Setup Operator, Machine Operator, Machinist
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend drilling machines to drill, bore, ream, mill, or countersink metal or plastic work pieces.
On the job, you would:
- Verify conformance of machined work to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, micrometers, or fixed or telescoping gauges.
- Study machining instructions, job orders, or blueprints to determine dimensional or finish specifications, sequences of operations, setups, or tooling requirements.
- Change worn cutting tools, using wrenches.
Engineering and Technology
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.