Textile Winding, Twisting, & Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Also called: Spinner, Twister Operator, Winder Operator, Winder Tender
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Textile machine operators use machines to make thread, yarn, fabric, and other textiles from a variety of materials. They move material from one stage of processing to another to ensure a quality finished product. Bleaching and dyeing machine operators treat fabrics with chemical solutions to change their color. They monitor machine displays and make adjustments to ensure processes run correctly, including those that wash, bleach, shrink, or dye textiles. Cutting machine operators use manual and electric devices to cut layers of fabric according to patterns. They adjust machine tension or speed, and maintain the machinery. Knitting and weaving machine operators produce fabric and knitted garments. They feed yarn and thread through guides and rollers to weave and knit materials on machines. They make sure woven cloth is free of defects and make adjustments and minor repairs when needed. Winding, twisting, and drawing out machine operators tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine materials such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers to make thread and yarn. They also wind thread and wire onto shuttle bobbins—thread for sewing machines, and wire to reinforce sheet glass as it’s manufactured. Textile machine operator positions typically require a high school diploma or equivalent.
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine sliver, such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers. Includes slubber machine and drawing frame operators.
On the job, you would:
- Notify supervisors or mechanics of equipment malfunctions.
- Thread yarn, thread, or fabric through guides, needles, and rollers of machines.
- Start machines, monitor operation, and make adjustments as needed.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Engineering and Technology
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Office suite software
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Extruding & Forming Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Synthetic & Glass Fibers
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Textile Bleaching & Dyeing Machine Operators & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: