Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Also called: Coater Operator, Machine Operator, Painter, Powder Coater
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
From candy-apple hot rods to glossy paper, and weatherproof furniture painting and coating workers use machines to paint and coat a wide range of items to enhance their beauty and protect surfaces. These workers prepare a surface by sanding or cleaning it, then cover portions of the product to direct the paint, varnish, rustproofing, or other coating. Painting and coating workers use different techniques dipping items in vats of paint, spraying products with coatings, or using automated painting systems. Some create mirrors by spraying metallic solutions onto glass. Proper coating and an even finish are always the goal, so workers carefully monitor their progress, making adjustments when needed. At the end of any project, cleaning equipment and work areas is essential. Transportation equipment painters specialize; most work in car repair and paint shops. They mix paints to match colors, and may paint intricate, detailed custom jobs. Some paint huge ships and construction equipment, and touch up damaged paint surfaces. Most painting and coating workers are employed full time, and may work overtime when business is brisk. They often stand for long periods and even working in ventilated areas may wear masks or respirators that cover their nose and mouth. Skills are generally learned on the job after earning a high school education.
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
On the job, you would:
- Select appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepare them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Hold or position spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Fill hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
Time accounting software
- Time recording software
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Fiberglass Laminators & Fabricators
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Packaging & Filling Machine Operators & Tenders
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: