Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Also called: Automotive Painter (Auto Painter), Coater Operator, Paint Technician (Paint Tech), Painter
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
From candy-apple hot rods to glossy paper, and weatherproof furniture painting and coating workers use machines to paint and coat a wide range of items to enhance their beauty and protect surfaces. These workers prepare a surface by sanding or cleaning it, then cover portions of the product to direct the paint, varnish, rustproofing, or other coating. Painting and coating workers use different techniques dipping items in vats of paint, spraying products with coatings, or using automated painting systems. Some create mirrors by spraying metallic solutions onto glass. Proper coating and an even finish are always the goal, so workers carefully monitor their progress, making adjustments when needed. At the end of any project, cleaning equipment and work areas is essential. Transportation equipment painters specialize; most work in car repair and paint shops. They mix paints to match colors, and may paint intricate, detailed custom jobs. Some paint huge ships and construction equipment, and touch up damaged paint surfaces. Most painting and coating workers are employed full time, and may work overtime when business is brisk. They often stand for long periods and even working in ventilated areas may wear masks or respirators that cover their nose and mouth. Skills are generally learned on the job after earning a high school education.
What they do:Set up, operate, or tend spraying or rolling machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials. Includes painters of transportation vehicles such as painters in auto body repair facilities.
On the job, you would:
- Dispose of hazardous waste in an appropriate manner.
- Hold or position spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers and decorative or finish coatings.
Engineering and Technology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Facilities management software
- Maintenance management software