Also called: Diffusion Operator, Fabrication Operator, Process Technician, Wafer Fabrication Operator
What they do:Perform any or all of the following functions in the manufacture of electronic semiconductors: load semiconductor material into furnace; saw formed ingots into segments; load individual segment into crystal growing chamber and monitor controls; locate crystal axis in ingot using x-ray equipment and saw ingots into wafers; and clean, polish, and load wafers into series of special purpose furnaces, chemical baths, and equipment used to form circuitry and change conductive properties.
On the job, you would:
- Manipulate valves, switches, and buttons, or key commands into control panels to start semiconductor processing cycles.
- Maintain processing, production, and inspection information and reports.
- Inspect materials, components, or products for surface defects and measure circuitry, using electronic test equipment, precision measuring instruments, microscope, and standard procedures.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Industrial control software
- Camstar Systems Camstar Semiconductor Suite
- Eyelit Manufacturing
Development environment software
- National Instruments TestStand
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Mixing & Blending Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: