Also called: Helper, Machine Operator, Material Handler, Production Worker
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Although automation has made operations more efficient, people remain an essential part of manufacturing. Production worker helpers carry out tasks on the factory floor, supplying materials, holding tools, and cleaning work areas and equipment. Production worker helpers load and run machines, and may make minor adjustments and repairs. They sometimes read charts and gauges, then record data and other details about production. They also move and process materials and inspect final products to ensure they meet standards. Attention to detail is critical in production. Helpers must be able to cooperate with their coworkers, tolerate a stressful environment, and have the stamina to push through long hours on their feet. Production worker helpers wear protective gear on a daily basis, and most make repetitive motions, so precautions are necessary to avoid injuries. As in many manufacturing jobs, the noise levels may be high. Production worker helper positions don’t typically have specific education requirements, but some do require a high school diploma. Mechanical knowledge, and experience with computer aided design software may be helpful.
What they do:Help production workers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
On the job, you would:
- Load and unload items from machines, conveyors, and conveyances.
- Operate machinery used in the production process, or assist machine operators.
- Place products in equipment or on work surfaces for further processing, inspecting, or wrapping.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Data base user interface and query software
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Foundry Mold & Coremakers
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
You might like a career in one of these industries: