Packers & Packagers, Hand
Also called: Bagger, Inspector Packer, Packer, Selector Packer
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
While computers and machines now perform many kinds of work, the ability to accomplish a job using your own hands and strength has a value and reward all its own. Laboring with your hands takes coordination and stamina, but it also takes customer service skills and the ability to follow through on instructions. Several jobs require these qualities: Most hand laborers and freight, stock, and material movers work as pickers in warehouses… retrieving items from storage to be loaded and shipped. They may need to pack and wrap items, or load and unload them from a truck. Packers and packagers pack groceries for customers, or pack shipping materials for transport. They often label packages and keep records of what they’ve packed. Vehicle and equipment cleaners wash vehicles, storage tanks, and industrial machinery. Most clean cars for an auto dealership, car rental agency, or car wash. Machine feeders work in manufacturing or warehouses… they insert materials into equipment, while offbearers remove materials from equipment after processing. Refuse and recyclable material collectors pick up garbage and recyclables from homes and businesses to transport to a landfill or recycling center. Most work either in waste collection or for local government. Most hand laborers and material movers work full time, though part-time hours are not uncommon. Warehouse and shipping positions may require overnight shifts. It’s typical for employers to require that workers have the ability to lift a certain weight to qualify for the job, but there are no formal education requirements. Jobs often include repetitive movement and heavy lifting.
What they do:Pack or package by hand a wide variety of products and materials.
On the job, you would:
- Load materials and products into package processing equipment.
- Clean containers, materials, supplies, or work areas, using cleaning solutions and hand tools.
- Record product, packaging, and order information on specified forms and records.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office
- Cleaners of Vehicles & Equipment
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, & Stucco Masons
- Janitors & Cleaners
- Laundry & Dry-Cleaning Workers
You might like a career in one of these industries: