Also called: Commercial Loan Officer, Financial Aid Counselor, Loan Counselor, Loan Officer
In the Navy: Disbursing Officer
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Many people dream of buying a house... or going to college... but these plans, and many others, cost more money than most people have. That's where credit and loan counselors and officers come in -they help people find the best ways to borrow the money they need. Loan officers meet with people applying for loans. They examine applicants' financial records and determine just how much money they may be able to borrow. Some people have financial problems that can make it difficult for them to borrow using traditional options... loan counselors search for alternatives. Once they've found an appropriate loan, counselors explain what financial regulations are involved. Credit counselors help customers resolve financial issues, from creating a plan to pay off debt, to finding a financial aid program for college. Financial matters can be tedious and frustrating to handle, so a steady demeanor is helpful. This work requires the ability to listen carefully and explain complicated issues simply. Credit and loan officers and counselors work in banks, higher education, and in mortgage firms. In addition to math skills, they must be detail-oriented to accurately complete loan documents. These professionals usually have a degree in finance or economics. If you like helping people and you're good with numbers, your skills could lend themselves to a career as a credit professional.
What they do:Evaluate, authorize, or recommend approval of commercial, real estate, or credit loans. Advise borrowers on financial status and payment methods. Includes mortgage loan officers and agents, collection analysts, loan servicing officers, loan underwriters, and payday loan officers.
On the job, you would:
- Meet with applicants to obtain information for loan applications and to answer questions about the process.
- Analyze applicants' financial status, credit, and property evaluations to determine feasibility of granting loans.
- Approve loans within specified limits, and refer loan applications outside those limits to management for approval.
- customer service
- accounting and economics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
Video conferencing software
Financial analysis software
- Delphi Discovery
- White Clarke North America Credit Adjudication and Lending Management