Software Developers, Applications
Application Developer, Application Integration Engineer, Software Developer, Software Engineer
see titles from the Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Computer Systems Programming; Computer Systems Programming Apprentice; Computer Systems Programming Craftsman; Computer Systems Programming Helper; Computer Systems Programming Journeyman
Computer Systems Programming
Computer Systems Programming Apprentice; Computer Systems Programming Craftsman; Computer Systems Programming Helper; Computer Systems Programming Journeyman; Intelligence Specialist
What they do:
Develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs. Analyze user needs and develop software solutions. Design software or customize software for client use with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. May analyze and design databases within an application area, working individually or coordinating database development as part of a team. May supervise computer programmers.
On the job, you would:
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- talking to others
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- communicate by speaking
- read and understand what is written
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Development environment software
- Advanced business application programming ABAP
Object or component oriented development software
Data base management system software