County Surveyor, Land Surveyor, Survey Party Chief, Surveyor
see titles from the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering Superintendent
Air and Missile Defense (AMD) Systems Tactician/Technician; Construction Engineering Technician; Joint Fire Support Specialist; PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer; Special Forces Engineer Sergeant; Technical Engineer
Engineer Assistant; Field Artillery Operations Man; Geographic Intelligence Specialist
Engineering Aid; Engineering Aid Basic
What they do:
Make exact measurements and determine property boundaries. Provide data relevant to the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
On the job, you would:
- Verify the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
- Direct or conduct surveys to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
- Prepare or supervise preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- using math to solve problems
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- notice when problems happen
- imagine how something will look after it is moved around or changed
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- Geocomp Systems GeoNav
- MicroSurvey FieldGenius
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- ESRI ArcView
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Bentley MicroStation