Engineer, Nuclear Engineer, Nuclear Licensing Engineer, Nuclear Reactor Engineer
see titles from the Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy.
RL - Engineering Duty Officer - Ship Engineering; RL - Naval Reactors Engineer
Atomic Energy Plans and Policies Officer; Nuclear Power Research Project Officer; Nuclear Power Superintendent; Nuclear Systems and Components Repair Officer, Ship; RL - Engineering Duty Officer - Ship Engineering; RL - Naval Reactors Engineer; Surface Reactor Controls Manager
What they do:
Conduct research on nuclear engineering projects or apply principles and theory of nuclear science to problems concerned with release, control, and use of nuclear energy and nuclear waste disposal.
On the job, you would:
- Initiate corrective actions or order plant shutdowns in emergency situations.
- Direct operating or maintenance activities of operational nuclear power plants to ensure efficiency and conformity to safety standards.
- Monitor nuclear facility operations to identify any design, construction, or operation practices that violate safety regulations and laws or that could jeopardize the safety of operations.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
Arts and Humanities
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
Development environment software
- FOLLOW code
- Formula translation/translator FORTRAN
Data base user interface and query software
- Data entry software
- Relational database software