Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, & Coffee Shop
Also called: Cafeteria Server, Cafeteria Worker, Food Service Worker, Server
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Food service workers perform customer service, food preparation, and cleaning duties… in food service establishments from fast food restaurants to hospitals and hotels. Counter attendants and baristas take orders, process payments, and serve food at fast food restaurants, snack bars, cafeterias, movie theaters, and coffee shops. They heat simple food items and assemble salads or sandwiches. Counter attendants also fill beverage orders and may prepare specialties, such as milkshakes and ice cream sundaes. Dining room and cafeteria attendants, also called bussers, clean and set tables, remove dirty dishes, and keep serving areas stocked with trays, dishes, and silverware. They may also fill water glasses and distribute dishes to diners. Bartender helpers clean bar equipment and glasses. These workers spend most of the time on their feet and often carry heavy trays. During busy dining periods, they are under pressure to serve customers quickly and efficiently. Minor injuries such as slips and burns are common. To reduce risks, workers often wear gloves, aprons, or nonslip shoes. Part-time work, seasonal work, and early morning or late evening hours are common… especially for fast food workers. Workers serving alcohol generally must be 18 years of age or older. Most food and beverage service workers receive short-term, on-the-job training. There are no formal educational requirements.
What they do:Serve food to diners at counter or from a steam table.
On the job, you would:
- Scrub and polish counters, steam tables, and other equipment, and clean glasses, dishes, and fountain equipment.
- Prepare bills for food, using cash registers, calculators, or adding machines, and accept payment or make change.
- Perform cleaning duties such as sweeping, mopping, and washing dishes, to keep equipment and facilities sanitary.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- food production
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Point of sale POS software
- Aldelo Systems Aldelo for Restaurants Pro
- Foodman Home-Delivery
Operating system software
Data base user interface and query software
- Combined Food Preparation & Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Hosts & Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, & Coffee Shop
- Waiters & Waitresses
You might like a career in one of these industries: