Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, & Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
Centerless Grinder Operator, Grinder, Grinder Operator, Grinding Machine Operator
see titles from the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aircraft Metals Technology; Aircraft Metals Technology Apprentice; Aircraft Metals Technology Craftsman; Aircraft Metals Technology Helper; Aircraft Metals Technology Journeyman
Allied Trades Specialist; Allied Trades Warrant Officer
Advanced Machinery Repairman; Machinery Repairman; Machinery Repairman Apprentice; Machinery Repairman Journeyman
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
On the job, you would:
- Inspect or measure finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as gauges or micrometers.
- Measure workpieces and lay out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Observe machine operations to detect any problems, making necessary adjustments to correct problems.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- see hidden patterns
Reaction Time and Speed
- quickly move your hand, finger, or foot based on a sound, light, picture or other command
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
Operating system software
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Computer Numerically Controlled Tool Operators
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Lathe & Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
You might like a career in one of these industries: