Also called: Parking Attendant, Parking Lot Attendant, Valet Attendant, Valet Parker
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
The job of Parking Lot Attendants may look easy, but it requires drive to do it well. Whether they work in multi-level garages or outside in parking lots, attendants have several key responsibilities. They need to observe the condition of a car when it enters to prevent unfounded complaints of damage later. Since they may be presented with all kinds of vehicles, they must be able to drive both automatic and standard transmissions. Navigating sharp turns and tight parking spaces requires good eyesight, excellent distance judgment, and coordination to avoid damage. You can expect to spend long hours in all kinds of weather outside, or inside a booth handling tickets, making change, and balancing a cash drawer. Cleaning and shoveling snow may be part of the job. A valid driver's license and a good driving record are required. Most attendants are trained on-the-job. Flexible, part time hours are common, with wages supplemented by tips. A friendly smile and courtesy are essential to
What they do:Park vehicles or issue tickets for customers in a parking lot or garage. May park or tend vehicles in environments such as a car dealership or rental car facility. May collect fee.
On the job, you would:
- Take numbered tags from customers, locate vehicles, and deliver vehicles, or provide customers with instructions for locating vehicles.
- Inspect vehicles to detect any damage.
- Greet customers and open their car doors.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- know where things are around you
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Point of sale POS software
- Payment processing software