Materials Engineer, Materials Research Engineer, Metallurgist, Process Engineer
see titles from the Navy.
Staff Machinery Material Officer; Staff Weapons Material Officer; Weapons Material Officer (General)
What they do:
Evaluate materials and develop machinery and processes to manufacture materials for use in products that must meet specialized design and performance specifications. Develop new uses for known materials. Includes those engineers working with composite materials or specializing in one type of material, such as graphite, metal and metal alloys, ceramics and glass, plastics and polymers, and naturally occurring materials. Includes metallurgists and metallurgical engineers, ceramic engineers, and welding engineers.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Write for technical magazines, journals, and trade association publications.
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- ANSYS Multiphysics
- Digital image correlation DIC software
Development environment software
- Formula translation/translator FORTRAN
- Microsoft Visual Basic
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD software
- PTC Pro/ENGINEER software