Environmental Scientists & Specialists, Including Health
Environmental Programs Specialist, Environmental Protection Specialist, Environmental Scientist, Environmental Specialist
see titles from the Army or Navy.
Entomology; Environmental Science and Engineering
What they do:
Conduct research or perform investigation for the purpose of identifying, abating, or eliminating sources of pollutants or hazards that affect either the environment or the health of the population. Using knowledge of various scientific disciplines, may collect, synthesize, study, report, and recommend action based on data derived from measurements or observations of air, food, soil, water, and other sources.
On the job, you would:
- Provide scientific or technical guidance, support, coordination, or oversight to governmental agencies, environmental programs, industry, or the public.
- Review and implement environmental technical standards, guidelines, policies, and formal regulations that meet all appropriate requirements.
- Collect, synthesize, analyze, manage, and report environmental data, such as pollution emission measurements, atmospheric monitoring measurements, meteorological or mineralogical information, or soil or water samples.
Arts and Humanities
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- ADMS pollution modeling software
- Lakes Environmental EcoRisk View
Data base user interface and query software
- EarthSoft EQuIS Geology
- Smart Data Solutions RS Solutions
Map creation software
- ESRI ArcView
- Geographic information system GIS software