Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
Welder, Fabricator, Finishing Technician, Fitter-Welder
see titles from the Army, Marine Corps, or Navy.
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Allied Trades Specialist
Aircraft Structural Repairer; Allied Trades Specialist; Hull Maintenance Technician; Steelworker
Hull Maintenance Technician; Steelworker
What they do:
Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
On the job, you would:
- Turn and press knobs and buttons or enter operating instructions into computers to adjust and start welding machines.
- Set up, operate, or tend welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products or assemblies.
- Load or feed workpieces into welding machines to join or bond components.
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Electronic mail software
Word processing software
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
per year, on average
- Cutting, Punching, & Press Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
- Plating & Coating Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Wood
- Welders, Cutters, & Welder Fitters
You might like a career in one of these industries: